Plant Profile: Poke

Poke
(Phytolacca americana)

Family: PHYTOLACCACEAE

Energetics: Cooling. 

Taste: Bitter. 

Tissue States: 

Systems Affected: 

Parts Used: Root 

Key Components: Triterpenoid saponins. Alkaloids. Resins. Phytolaccic acid. Tannins. Formic acid. 

Preparations & dosage: Decoction: 1/4 - 1/2 tsp per cup simmered 10-15 minutes. Tincture: 1/2-1 ml. Larger dosages of either make a strong emetic and purgative. Food: The young green unbranched shoots that came up in the spring can be used as food. But one must be careful because if you harvest too late it is toxic. Poke MUST be boiled before it can be eaten. Again, not something I personally choose to mess with. A bit too adventurous for me, but, there it is... 

Actions: 

Foundational: Stimulant. Bitter.
Primary: Anti-catarrhal. Purgative. Emetic. 

Secondary: Anti-rheumatic. 

Uses: 

Similar to Lobelia. Has an affinity for the blood. Acute mastitis. Strong lymphatic herb. Acute formula for strep. Breastfeeding mom can rub on breasts (mastitis?).   

Upper respiratory infections. aids in cleansing of the lymphatic glands. Helps to remove build up of mucus. Catarrh, laryngitis, tonsillitis, swollen adenoid glands, mumps, mastitis (internally as well as a poultice). 

Chronic rheumatism. 

Not a plant I choose to use personally, as I feel there are many safer alternatives that are just as effective. But I do know many herbalists that do use it safely and effectively. 

I've read that the berries can also be used and are less toxic, but I don't as of this moment have any information on this. 

Combines well with: Cleavers. Blue Flag. 

Identifying: 

Growing:

Harvesting: Wear gloves when harvesting as the root contains toxic substances that can be absorbed through the skin. Harvest the root in the late fall or early spring. Clean and slice lengthwise. Dry in a shaded area before storing. 

Contraindications: Large dosages make a powerful emetic and purgative. Wear gloves when harvesting as the root contains toxic substances that can be absorbed through the skin.


Sources: 

The Complete Herbs Sourcebook: David Hoffman. Pg 302. 
The Way of Herbs: Michael Tierra. Pg 180-181, 293. 
Northeast Foraging: Leda Meredith. Pg 210-212


Studies:


This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, nor is it intended to replace medical advice. For educational purposes only.

Comments