Plant Profile: Catnip

Catnip
(Nepeta cataria)




Other Common Names: Catmint

Family: Labiatae

Energetics: Cooling. Moistening.

Taste: Bitter. Spicy. 

Systems Affected: Lungs. Liver. Nervous System.

Part Used: Leaves and flowers

Key Components: Chromium. Iron. Manganese. Potassium. Selenium. Calcium. Magnesium. Phosphorus. Riboflavin (B2). Vitamin A. Tannins. Volatile oils (Cavracol, citronellol, nerol, geraniol, pulegone, thymol, nepatalic acid). Trace Amounts of Folate (B9), Niacin (B3), Silicon, Sodium, Sulphur, Thiamin (B1), B5, B6, B12, Vitamin C and Zinc. 

Preparations: Infusion, Tincture

Actions:

Foundational: Astringent. Bitter. Aromatic. 
Primary: Carminative. Sedative. Nervine.
Secondary: Anti-spasmodic. Anti-spasmodic

Medicinal Uses: 
  • cold/flu
  • fevers
  • Hiccups
  • digestive upset
  • dyspepsia
  • flatulence
  • colic
  • diarrhea
  • mild motion sickness
  • Skin irritations
  • hives
  • measles
  • acne
  • muscle fatigue
  • Menstrual cramps
  • Nervous headache
  • Menstrual headaches
  • Insomnia
  • Bug repellant 
Combines well with: Yarrow for bug repellant or for colds and fevers.

Identifying: As a member of the mint family, it has a square stem. Catnip grows up to 3' tall. It has heart shaped toothed leaves that appear opposite each other alternating direction up the stem. 

Growing: Catnip is a perenial native to England.

Harvesting: Catnip can be harvested throughout the year, roughly from June through September/October. 

Contraindications: Do not use for extended periods of time on small children as it can have an almost narcotic effect when overused.

My Personal Experience with Catnip: As I sit here sipping my now cold cup of herbal catnip (2 tsp in 1 cup of just boiled water steeped for 10 minutes). It's actions feel very  much like Chamomile but with a very different taste. I think the word may be more earthy. It took time for me to feel any effects, but I can definitely feel a relaxation in my stomach as well as in my head. It's not a bitter like chamomile but still aides with digestive discomfort that I will hopefully one day be rid of. I'm sitting here pretty sleepy, definitely not a tea to drink before work but a nice calming herb for evening or a sick day. It's also not a diuretic like Chamomile so may be better for a before bedtime.


Resources

The Way of Herbs By Michael Tierra; Pg 114
The Complete Herbs Sourcebook: David Hoffman. Pg 236

Studies:
I could not find many studies related to humans and catnip. Common in medicinal plants. The one I did find, posted below is just meh and is written in an extremely biased manner but still worth a read. 

Catnip: Its uses and effects, past and present. (Some good information though I would ignore the part about steeping 1 oz in a pint of water. 1-2 tsp per cup is just fine and should not have any emetic action): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480656/?page=1


Comments