I really wanted a physical gardening journal this year, but that just wasn’t in the cards. So instead, I thought I’d share will anyone who happens to find and read this! I’ll be trying all kinds of different gardening methods and such, figuring out what works andwhat doesn’t.
Day 1: I’m sad that I haven’t yet been able to purchase most of my medicinal plant seeds. I’m hoping I’ll soon be able to before it’s too late.
Here’s what I’ll be planting so far:
As you can see we’re not big on planting things that you can find anywhere. We tend to stick to organic heirloom varieties. These are all new for us. Last year we mostly planted starters from other local farmers.
This year we’re also going to try some companion planting with our veggies and herbs. We had a majority crop failure last year in our first year garden. A lot of it was just not healthy soil, but I did also noticed we accidentally planted some plants together that don’t like each other.
February 18th will be the day we start the first of our seeds indoors. We’ll be starting the Chinese pink celery, giant red celery, peppers, and some of the broccoli.
Goals I have for this season is a good yield to feed my family all season, planting medicinal plants to harvest, dry and make extracts to get us through the year as well as preserving food for winter and saving seeds to plant next year.
I haven’t done any canning or freezing in quite a few years and I have never saved any seeds, so this will be quite an adventure.
Todd is heading up to Maine next weekend and will be bringing back some seed starter as well as our favorite compost. When we finally thaw, I’ll be pulling back the hay we laid down in the fall and actually putting down some good soil underneath that is specific to each plant where we’ll be planting it.
Wish us luck!!
Comments
Post a Comment