Plant Profile: Ephedra

Ephedra
(Ephedra gerardiana, E. sinica, E. equisatina E. distachya, E. helvetica....)


Family: EPHEDRAEAEA

Energetics: Warming

Taste: Pungent. Bitter. 

Tissue States: 

Systems Affected: Lungs. Bladder.

Parts Used: Stem.

Key Components: Ephedrine alkaloids. 

Preparations & dosage: 

Actions: 
Foundational: Astringent. Stimulant.
Primary: Diaphoretic. Diuretic. 

Secondary: Anti-rheumatic. Decongestant. 

Uses: 

For the Respiratory system: Asthma. Emphysema. Bronchitis. Hay fever. Allergies. Whooping cough.

Works by stimulating the sympathetic nervous system. 


Also used for arthritis and rheumatism. 

Combines well with: 

Identifying: 

Growing:

Harvesting:

Contraindications: Not many of my current sources have much information about this plant. As far as my understanding, you CAN buy the plant in the US. I'll be adding more information as I find it. This is also one that I have not used myself. I my normal suppliers don't carry it, but it is one of the plants that was in my course lessons. 


Sources: 

The Way of Herbs: Michael Tierra. Pg 135

Studies:

Comments