Psyllium
(Plantago ovata; P. arenaria; P. Psyllium; P. Indica)
(Plantago ovata; P. arenaria; P. Psyllium; P. Indica)
(This is a work in progress as only one of my current sources has any information on this. I'm sure that will quickly change.)
Energetics: Neutral to cooling.
Taste: Sweet.
Tissue States:
Systems Affected: Stomach, Spleen. Colon.
Parts Used: Seed and husk of the seed.
Key Components: Mucilage. Polysaccharides. Monoterpene alkaloids. Aucubine. Protein. Enzymes. Fat.
Preparations & dosage: Michael Tierra states "1 tsp boiled down from half a quart of the seeds; of the powdered husks simply stir into a cup of water or fruit juice every evening." I admit this confuses me. I'm assuming this is 2 different ways in which to take it. If that is the case I'm not really sure what to make of the first part. Further along he says to mix 2 parts psyllium seed husks with equal parts flax seed and chia seed (maybe he means all equal parts or maybe he means 1 part each flax and chia?). Soak 3-4 tbsp in warm water or cherry juice and take at night before bed. Hopefully further sources will clarify this for me, or maybe I'll just have to give the various interpretations a try!
Actions:
Foundational: Demulcent.
Primary: Bulk Laxative. (A bulk laxative is something that swells up when it's soaked in water thus, adding bulk to the intestines.
Secondary:
Uses:
Used for dry constipation. The husk is most effective at relieving both acute and chronic constipation that is of a dry nature.
Combines well with: Cascara. Licorice. Flax. Chia.
Identifying:
Growing:
Harvesting:
Contraindications:
Sources:
The Way of Herbs: Michael Tierra. Pg 17,34, 183-84
Studies:
Comments
Post a Comment